25 September 2008

TAO SHIATSU



A friend of mine in Melbourne is studying Shiatsu - and I said to her that if she was learning Shiatsu - the book TAO SHIATSU by Ryokyu Endo was a must...

And she said she had it on her desk, waiting to be returned to its owner. When I told her my godson's mother, Maria Borrelli + I had translated it, she wasn't sure to believe me - so I asked her to look on the inside of the book for our names...

If anyone reading this post is interested in understanding more about holistic medicine or if you know of a person learning Shiatsu - I highly recommend the book, not because we translated it but because ENDO is a Master of Shiatsu (and a great guitarist as well as being a buddhist priest...). We met in Kyoto when I was studying at university, I had always been interested in holistic medicine, so finding him was a real treasure as he taught Shiatsu to english speakers every Thursday.

The day he showed me his manuscript, all the students were sitting having a picnic lunch by the river + I said to him "this has got to be translated into english". He replied "you should do it...".

At the time my Japanese was not up to translation level... so the following year, I headed to Sydney University, did my masters in Asian Studies (Japanese) and met Maria Borrelli who was equally interested in holistic medicine. We started to translate TAO SHIATSU after we graduated. We translated during the day in a tiny room in Maria's home in Rozelle, Sydney and taught Japanese at Continuing Education in Sydney University in the evening to support ourselves. By the end of the year we were back in Kyoto, working on the final version with ENDO (this was back in the 1992 when faxes were the go...). We found an editor quickly (didn't realise the gold we had in our hands...)

Years later our english translation was used as the base for future translations : spanish, french, hebrew...

That was some journey...

No comments: